Hagley Hall is a fine historic building which is at the heart of its original country estate. It is Grade I Listed and is still owned by the Lyttelton Family who were responsible for commissioning the house and the estate buildings.
The hall is still furnished with much of its original fixtures and fittings and is located within an extremely important listed 18th Century historic Deer park and garden. The manor of Hagley was purchased by John Lyttelton in 1565. The present landscape was created from about 1739 to 1764 with follies designed by Lord Camelford, Thomas Pitt of Encombe, James “Athenian” Stuart and Sanderson Miller. The follies include Wychbury Obelisk on Wychbury Hill built in 1764 for Sir Richard Lyttelton. This is visible form many miles; the Temple of Theseus built from 1759 to c1762 at a cost of £300. This temple was designed by James “Athenian” Stuart and was a miniature replica of a Greek Doric hexastyle temple being based on the sixth century BC Theseion in Athens. It was designed by Stuart after he visited Athens from 1751 to 1755 to measure the buildings. It is the earliest 18th Century building to have been directly copied from an Ancient Greek original and was the first building outside Greece and her colonies in which the Greek Order is correctly used. The building was a gift from Admiral Smith, Lyttelton’s half brother. Other buildings include some small classical buildings; a sham ruined castle and ‘The Four Stones’, or Ossians Tomb as it was termed, on the summit of Clent Hills. The Hall itself was designed by Sanderson Miller and is the last of the great Palladian houses to be built in England. The house was built by George, 1st Lord Lyttelton (1709 – 73), secretary to Frederick, Prince of Wales, poet and man of letters and briefly Chancellor of the Exchequer. Before the death of his father in 1751 he had commenced on landscaping the grounds in the new picturesque style and the house was built between 1754 and 1760. One of Lord Lyttelton’s friends, Horace Walpole gave advice on design issues which were discussed and agreed by a Committee which included a number of Walpole’s friends who were actively advising him on the design and evolution of Strawberry Hill.
We have been involved in a number of projects at the Estate including restoration works and potential new office space to help provide the Estate with future income for the upkeep of the numerous listed structures.
Lapworth Architects rated 4.5 / 5 based on 76 customer reviews with touchbirmingham.co.uk