The existing building is a Statutory Listed Grade II property and still stands in part of the original plot as first built in the early 1860’s. Originally the property was known as Southfields and it sat within a much larger plot. In 1973/74 the house was been sold to Bryant’s to be demolished and redeveloped as part of the wider area of redevelopment to the north, east and south.

Calthorpe Estates recognised the buildings quality bought the property off Bryant’s, albeit with a reduced plot, and refurbished the building in the mid 1970’s and converted it to office use. IT was used as the Estate Office until it was sold to Crosby Homes in the late 1990’s.

Crosby has used the building for their offices since then, but this application seeks to return the property to a single family dwelling. We have been engaged by our client to design a new family space to include kitchen and breakfast room, family room and utility space in this grade II property We have also been engaged to design a leisure facility within the former walled garden area and at basement level.

The building was constructed in the mid 1850’s and the extensive modifications were not carried out until William Waters Butler purchased Southfield in 1899 / 1900.

William Waters Butler’s father was also William Butler and he was born in Hinckley Leicestershire in 1843. His father was a hosiery manufacturer and the story goes that after a family quarrel William left with only a penny in his pocket and walked to Birmingham. He arrived in Birmingham in 1866 and worked at the crown Brewery in Broad Street. Later the same year he became the licensee at the London Works Tavern in Smethwick until 1876. He married the sister-in-law of Mr. Owen, the landlord of the Crown Inn, Broad Street and they lived in Smethwick. William Waters Butler was born in 1867. In 1875 Mr Owen died and William Butler and Mr Owen junior became partners for several years. The business flourished with a ground rent of £840 per year and the business value was estimated at around £20,000. The Crown brewery business continued to grow and eventually amalgamated with Henry Mitchell in 1898 becoming Mitchell and Butlers Brewery.

The 1901 Census record for William Butler senior shows he was living at Elmdon House, Selly Park with Albert Edward his son aged 23 his daughter Clara aged 24 and his youngest daughter Nellie aged 15 with 2 servants. William Butler senior died at his home in 1907. His son Albert Edward passed away in 1908 leaving two sons William Waters and Henry Alexander. William Waters Butler was born in 1867 and was educated at King Edwards Grammar School. He entered his fathers business and became Chairman of Mitchell and Butlers Brewery in 1914. He married Emily M Brown of Smethwick and they moved into Southfield, Norfolk Road in 1901. The house was modified significantly by Butler and much of what is seen today is the result of Butlers work heavily influenced by Public House design at the turn of the Century.